From time to time, software updates for your phone may be available. Your phone can check and then notify you if there’s a new update. You can then download and install the software update using your phone’s Wi-Fi or data connection. You can also manually check if there’s an available software update for your phone.
Depending on the type of update, the update may erase all your personal data and customized settings, and also remove any applications you’ve installed. Make sure that you’ve backed up the information and files you want to keep.
Note: Checking and downloading phone software updates may incur additional data transfer fees from your mobile operator.
Installing a phone system software update
Make sure your phone has a microSD card inserted. The update will be downloaded to the microSD card.
- Do any of the following after your phone receives a software update:
- If the phone display is on and you’re not using any application, the Install system software update dialog box appears on screen. Select Install now, and then tap OK.
- If you’re in a call, the update notification icon appears in the status bar. After the call, slide open the Notifications panel, and then tap the update notification.
- Wait for the update to download and install on your phone. When the update is finished, the phone will automatically restart.
Checking for phone system software updates manually
- From the Home screen, press MENU, and then tap Settings.
- Tap About phone > System software updates.
- Tap Check now.